Here’s a free Before I was Born mini-book.
Preschool and up.
- Life Cycle of a Human
- Empathy and Character Development
- Optional: National geographic video of babies in the womb or posters
- Complete a prior knowledge assessment. Toward the top of poster board or your white board write “K-W-L”. With vertical lines separating each letter. Ask what the children know (K) and want to know (W). You will complete the learned (L), after the lesson.
- If it’s still appropriate learning, have the students read the Life Cycle of Me!: Before I was Born book with you.
- Depending upon what the children already know, choose visual materials to help you explain the life cycle of a human. Explain that this is how he/she grew before birth. Children may like to use the term “while I was in mommy’s tummy”.
- Students complete the book, read and discuss it.
- Complete the K-W-L chart with the children, What did they learn (under L)?
Folding Instructions for the Mini Book:
This book is convenient, because it does not require staples.
1. Cut on the dotted…. lines around the edges.
2. Fold on the gray, solid line, so you see the
text and pictures.
3. Cut the center, dotted ….. line.
4. Open and fold in half the opposite way,
(pg. 1 back-to-back with the cover & page 4
back-to-back with page 5.)
5. Make a fan fold and then open again.
6. Fold the dotted pages so they are open,
like a diamond.
7. Push the diamond closed, so the cover is
on the front and the last page is on the back.
When printing on your computer, it may be helpful to check the box “fit to page” or “scale to printable area”.)
Of course, you don’t need to explain the birds and the bees to do this activity. It’s just important for the child to know he/she was growing, feeling, hearing and seeing while in the womb.
Publishers, please let me know if you’d like to make a picture book. My e-mail is email@example.com.